Sunday, August 1, 2010

Every Picture Tells A Story


Rod Stewart performing in 1971.
© Jon van Woerden

Every Picture Tells A Story, or so goes the title song of Rod Stewart's Third album, released way back in 1971. It was on the tour supporting this album that I shot the above photo, one of the first of many concert images I shot during the 70's. Short of a few weddings and assorted other gigs during these early years of my photo career, shooting rock concerts was my passion. It was two years earlier while working as a sound and lighting tech with one of South Florida's premier hard rock groups, Coventry, that it was suggested by fellow band mates that I should utilize the Minolta SRT 101 camera that I had just purchased to snap a few shots at our gigs, after all how busy was I during those shows. Well this lead to that and before I knew it I was shooting some of the really big shows, from prime vantage points, thanks to my long time friend Frankie Banali and his acquaintance with a local concert promotor. I never actively pursued marketing any of these images, and I'm just now sorting through hundreds of these 30+ year old slides, selecting my favorites and posting them to my website gallery "70Rock". As I scanned these celluloid memories, I came to realize that yes indeed, Every Picture Tells a Story.

Click on this link to view the gallery and check back often as it is still a work in progress.



David Bowie performs Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders From Mars.
© Jon van Woerden

Freddie Mercury of Queen performs Bohemian Rhapsody,
© Jon van Woerden

No comments:

Post a Comment